Sunday, November 29, 2009

Annual Almond Stick Making







Four generations of Van Diest Family members got together on Saturday for our annual almond stick making. It's a tradition from my Grandma Van Diest's family, and I don't know how long they've been doing it, but I've contributed for probably 5 or 6 years now. It has been a long time since there have been children at this event, but now that all of us grandchildren have children, my grandma's church gym was overrun with baby equipment, kids games, and toys. I just had to take a few pictures to document what an amazing task almond stick making is, and how much work and love goes into them. We all give them away as gifts during the holidays, and I've learned in the last few years that they sell at a few stores in Lynden for like 7 or 8 dollars a piece. They are a long standing Dutch tradition in our family. Beth and I were discussing how special it will be to carry on the tradition for years to come.

6 comments:

Brian and Staci said...

Oh my goodness, my mouth will not stop watering. I think I need to find a way to become an honorary VanDiest family member for almond stick making. How glorious the almond sticks are!

Fuccillo Family said...

i still have never had one! hint hint

Natasha said...

Makes my mouth water!!! I think Lesha is making some, so I will have to get my hands on one.

The Price Family said...

Thanks you for the wonderful almond stick that you gave to us. It lasted an hour, maybe :)

Your blog is updating now, did you do anything to change it?

Fuccillo Family said...

okay, wait a second... the Price Family got some... so what about the Fuccillo's???!!!!

michele said...

What an awesome tradition~! And oh I love almond sticks!!