Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Fond Memory

This picture was taken on Easter 2006. The first annual "redneck" Easter consisting of a weenie roast and pinata smashing. My mom wanted to start a new Easter tradition. One that involved a little less time in the kitchen, and a little more time with the family. Boy did she get it right. I love this picture. What happy smiles they both have. True happiness. She was so amazing. I can't believe we don't get to have any more Easter celebrations with her, but rest assured every Easter will be like this in honor of her. 

I feel an emptiness inside of me that actually takes my breath away. I literally have to remind myself to breathe. During the last few weeks, my aunt Laurie kept reminding me to breathe, and I didn't really know what she meant until now. I know that we will all get through this...even though our lives will never be the same. Thankfully she taught us how to trust and be faithful. Thankfully I have an amazing support system. Thankfully there will come a day when I see her again.



5 comments:

Natasha said...

I love this picture. That Easter tradition is so fun and what a great memory. I know that feeling when you need to remind yourself to breath. For now allow yourself to walk straight through your grief. There is no way around it, over it, or under it, only through it. I will be here every step of the way.

Jordans04 said...

I just love your redneck Easter - so glad this is one of many wonderful traditions your Mom has left for you girls to carry on. You all continue to be on my mind constantly. When I got into bed last night I just started crying, I was sad for you and your family and I was happy that I got a chance to know your Mom. I thought about the first time I had dinner with your family... Beth and Adam came home half way through, young and in love Adam followed Beth like a little puppy... Lisa came home from a first "date" with Cory, your Mom was talking about getting ready to wear her two piece in Maui... there was so much love and comfort around that dinner table. Ill never forget it. Love you so much.

michele said...

Joelle, I am so sad for you. I will pray for you, I promise to. This is such a sweet picture. And Natasha is so right, try to walk through the grief even though it will make you ache and sometimes take your breath away -- I am thankful you have a strong support system.

Brian and Staci said...

Joelle, my heart hurts for you, your sisters, your dad, your family. I know that nothing said helps take grief away, it has to run its course, let the tears flow when they need to because it's ok. And remember to breath. Will keep praying for you all.

Megan said...

We lived near each other in Sumas and I remember spending loads of time at your family's house as a child. Your mom was truly one-of-a-kind. I am so sorry to hear of her passing. May you find strength and love in your family!

~Megan (Bauthues) Gardner