Saturday, August 8, 2009

Jack is 4!

Four years ago on August 5th, our first child, Jack, was born. He made his appearance 13 days late, forcing me through many hours of labor, and then ultimately a c-section. All of that unpleasantness was quickly forgotten when I held him for the first time. It was love at first sight. Now he's 4, is about to start his 2nd year of preschool, rarely lets me change his clothes or help in the bathroom anymore, and is becoming so independent and self-assured that he reminds me to calm down when I get too uptight. "Mom, just calm" he says.

A few months ago I asked Jack if I could read him my favorite book "I'll Love You Forever". It was my favorite book as a child, and is still my favorite book because my mom gifted it to me at the hospital on the day that Jack was born. When my mom used to read it to me, she would sing the words of the song with her own little made up tune (at least I think she made it up). I now do the same for Jack, and even though he's starting to get annoyed with me when I do it, he usually lets me. The last few months have been pretty difficult and emotional, and the last time I read the book to Jack I was a complete basket case. However, it just reminds me that there is no stronger love than a parent for their child, and even though Jack is growing and the years are flying by, my baby he'll always be.

Gotta love that enthusiasm! This present is a Star Wars light-saber by the way.

Yes, he is actually hugging his new Transformers pj's saying, "I love it!"

A Lego Star Wars Starship

Baseballs!

Happy Birthday to you Jack! I can't believe you are 4!



2 comments:

Natasha said...

Ahhhh. You made me cry. I can't believe how fast these kids are growing! Looks like Jack had a great birthday, what a cutie!

Brian and Staci said...

Oh Joelle, how cute! Your such a cute mom!!! Happy Birthday Jack!!!!