Saturday, December 4, 2010

Lighted Christmas Parade, Decorations

Beth and I met at my Dad's this afternoon to go through Christmas decorations and put some up for my Dad. This was very hard. Much harder than I anticipated, but so worth it. We looked at every decoration before we put it up, trying so hard to figure out what my Mom had done with it in the past, and what she would have done with it if she were putting it up now. We tried our best, and I must say I was very pleased with the finished product. We didn't do near the job she would have done...but we tried, and that in itself I know would make her happy.

The lighted Christmas parade is something I've NEVER done without my mom. We have the most amazing memory from a few years ago of all of us heading up to the parade in cold and snow, hot drinks in hand, braving the elements just to see the look on Jack's and Ryan's faces of the Christmas lights and Santa. In fact, we have the most amazing picture of my mom and dad that night...I really need to find it and post it because it's absolutely beautiful. Tonight we still gathered for the lighted parade. My Dad, myself, and Jack sat on the curb in the freezing weather and wind and enjoyed the parade just like we normally would. Fortunately we were able to immediately head inside to Andrea and Justin's house to warm up with Beth, Adam, and Almira, and the rest of the Hodgins' Clan. THANKS!!! It was a good night. I'm glad that we continue to do the things that my Mom would be doing if she were still here. Every tradition this Christmas will be so painful without her, but at the same time, I don't want to skip a beat. She wouldn't want us to be sitting at home pouting, so I refuse to do so.

Beth found the pictures.
Just Beautiful!

6 comments:

Home with the Hodgins' said...

I am so glad my crappy day turned out to be a good day. Thank you so much! It was so hard going through those decorations and then going to the parade without mom, but I am so thankful that I got to do that with you. Plus, I found those pictures! Check your email!

The Price Family said...

So glad that you were able to do those things, even though they were so hard without her. Your a good mom, daughter, sister, and friend. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

The Van Prices said...

The Christmas Lit parade is my favorite one of the year! It's so much fun and even better having a house to be in and out of because it's usually (or seems to be) the coldest day of the year! I love that picture of your parents and about the decorations! You guys must have been busy that day because I remember you're parents house to be DECKED out when it came to Christmas!

Rhonda said...

I love the pictures and I'm so glad that you girls are carrying on the traditions that your mom started for you and the grandbabies!

Brian and Staci said...

Oh what fond and wonderful memories. That is a fantastic picture! I love pictures in the snow fall, something a little magical about them! Keep truckin' along Joelle, I know the holidays will be hard, but just remember all the wonderful traditions your mom is so happy your carrying on.

Kelli said...

Hey Joelle... I have some pics of Jack from the day they made gingerbread houses. Can't seem to find you on facebook can you email me at kellibaar@clearwire.net so I can get those to you.

Love your blog entry!
Kelli